Saturday, March 21, 2009

creative proposals

i'm a biter.

yes. it's the truth. somewhere on weddingbee, many many moons ago, i saw a DIY craft that one of the bees did to ask their bridesmaids (i forget who).... i thought it was a GRRREAT! idea. so i did it, too. with my own little spin, of course. i bought the accordian book kits (~$5)from Paper Source (aka a girl's best friend, aka my mothership), some pretty paper from the Paper Studio in Tempe, and got to work!


I pretty much followed the directions from PS, but you can do this on your own too - you just need your accordian folded paper, and 2 cardboard/chipboard covers that are slightly larger than the folded paper. You cut out the pretty paper a bit larger than the cover boards, and then use special paper paste to glue them to the covers, taking care to fold the corners well (like wrapping a gift - the directions are really confusing on this part), and get all the air bubbles out.


My supplies... (this is the journal kit from PS, same technique)
































I highly recommend using a bone folder to get really nice, flat creases and tight corners

I then attached a ribbon to the back panel, and then used the same paste to affix the covers to the pages. I chose a different ribbon for each girl, depending on her favorite colors.

Next, I set to work putting pictures and little decorations onto each page, outlining my relationship with each girl and our friendship adventures. On the last 1-2 pages, I wrote a little note telling them how much I valued their friendship and support in my life and relationship, and asking them to be my ladies! (Of course, I had excitedly asked them over the phone/in person much earlier - yup, that's me, always jumping the gun). I then personalized the covers with their names....

Ta-da! My finished products (please excuse my craft-desk-chaos...)



HUUUGE sense of accomplishment once these were done. The hardest part was filling the books. You could probably knock out at least 3 books a Saturday.
Did you ask your bridemaids in a creative way? Share your stories and pictures with the hive!

No comments:

Post a Comment